Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Top 100: 81-90

Wow, I feel like such a failure as a blogger. I truly intended on posting the next 10 books on my top 100 last week, but I have been busy wrapping up my Young Writers Club for the summer. I compile everyone's poems, stories, etc. into a book and print a copy for each kid that participated. Of course, everyone gave me their writing samples late so I have been madly typing and collating the past few days.

Now that I am not in a harried state of panic I can get back to blogging.

90. Socks by Beverly Cleary

Please do not tar and feather for saying this, but I have never been a huge fan of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I don't know why, but I only read one Ramona book and I never had much desire to read another. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Ramona, I adore Socks by Beverly Cleary. This sweet and funny story of a spoiled kitty who is replaced as the center of attention when his owners bring home a human baby is a great read-aloud for kids with siblings on the way. If fact, I read Socks aloud to my first two children when I was expecting my third and they loved it.


89. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

This 1987 Newbery Medal winner tells the story of Prince Horace, or as he is commonly known throughout the kingdom, Prince Brat (what could be a better name for a spoiled royal?). Jemmy is the lowly servant who, by proxy, must endure all of the prince's punishments since it is illegal to lay a hand on the heir to the thrown. As his name suggests, Prince Brat is rude, selfish, mean, lazy, and ignorant, so when he runs away he is ill equipped to navigate the world outside of the castle. Luckily, Prince Brat drags Jemmy along to rescue him when things go awry. You can probably guess that buy the conclusion of the book, Prince Brat, turns over a new leaf and makes amends to Jemmy. The ending may be pat, but Fleischman's humorous writing is not. The Whipping Boy is a riotous adventure  that is a great read for reluctant readers due to its relatively short length.


88. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Let me start off by saying that Daniel Handler has the best author pseudonym ever! Also, if you have ever watched an interview you know that Handler is ridiculously, sarcastically funny (and he even plays the accordion)! The Bad Beginning is the first book in the hugely popular Series of Unfortunate Events which are the calamitous chronicles of the three Beauregard children.
 I know that it sounds rather depressing, but The Bad Beginning is so witty and Count Olaf is a wonderfully sinister villain.

 If you do not have time to read The Series of Unfortunate Events you can listen to the audiobooks. I know that I have mentioned this in a previous post, but Tim Curry does a SPECTACULAR job reading these books so even if you have read them check out the audiobooks (we have them all at the library). Here is a brief snippet of the brilliant collaboration of Curry and Handler.




87. Deadweather and Sunrise: The Chronicles of Egg Book 1 by Geoff Rodkey

Pirates, ancient treasure maps, revenge, and even a touch of romance!!! Not to mention that the main character's name is Egg and his best friend is a one handed cabin boy named Guts. For some reason this just makes the book even better for me. Geoff Rodkey may not be a household name, but he is actually the writer behind Daddy Daycare, RV, Shaggy Dog (the Tim Allen remake), and for all of those tween Disney fans, Good Luck, Charlie. It's Christmas...  Deadweather and Sunrise is the first book in The Chronicles of Egg trilogy and all three are amazing swashbuckling adventures with a good dose of humor tossed in.

86. The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

I know what you are thinking: "Ugh, another dystopian novel following The Hunger Games craze.  Well, you would be wrong because this dystopian novel was published five years before The Hunger Games. Also, I am sure that parents will be happy to know that there are no children fighting to the death in The City of Ember. Rather the lead characters, Lina and Doon, live in a city surrounded by darkness and the lights are slowly dying. Where is the city of Ember, what lies beyond in the darkness, what will they do when there is no more food and the lights go out for good? This book is the first in a series, but The City of Ember stands on its own as a thrilling mystery.

My husband actually told me that this was a movie. It was released in 2006 and has Bill Murray and Tim Robbins in it. Who knew? I might have to see if I can interloan it.

85. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

Another classic horse book, that I wanted to live as a kid. Honestly, I had  fantasies in which I was stranded on a desert island with Shetan. Who wouldn't, want to canter bareback down a deserted beach on a wild Arabian stallion? The Black Stallion is just a thrilling, gorgeous story.





84. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

This is the 5th book in the Chronicles of Narnia in which Edmund, Lucy, and their cousin Eustace.  The opening line of this book has always stuck with me and I cannot help giggling a bit whenever I hear it. "There was  boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."  Honestly, who would name their child Eustace Clarence Scrubb? Do you want them to be stuffed in a locker one day? Kidding aside, I love the introduction of Eustace, who as his name suggests, is a pompous little sniveler. Similar to Prince Brat in The Whipping Boy there is a certain satisfaction in reading how Eustace receives his comeuppance.

Also, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader brings back one of my all-time favorite Narnians, Reepicheep, the always ready to duel warrior mouse.

There are so many wonderful, exciting moments to enjoy in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, don't stop traveling to Narnia after reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, because you will be missing out on some sensational adventures.

83. Twerp by Mark Goldblatt

There are so many books about bullying, but Twerp by Mark Goldblatt is exceptional. Julian Twerski has been asked by his English teacher to write about the incident that earned him a week long suspension. This turns out to be easier said than done as Julian begins to write about everything but the incident. Through Julian's journal you learn that he he is not a bad kid nor is he a bully. Julian is just a kid like so many others who goes along with his friends even when he knows in his heart that it is wrong. At times humorous and others heartbreaking, Julian's story is an incredibly powerful statement about compassion, making amends, and standing up as an individual.

82. Half Magic by Edward Eager

The four siblings in Half Magic love to read fantasy stories and after one trip to the library bemoan "Why don't things like that ever happen to us?" How will react then when they discover a magic coin that grants wishes, but only by half? This book is just pure, uncomplicated fun. I especially love when they wish that the cat could talk, but since the coin only grants half wishes every other word that it says is "Meow".  There have been many covers of this book over the years, but I am a huge, huge Quentin Blake (he illustrated most of Roald Dahl;s books) fan so I prefer this one featuring his artwork.



81. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lingdren

I once dressed up as Pippi Longstocking when we were supposed to come to school as our favorite book character. What is not to love about Pippi. She doesn't go to school, does and wears whatever she wants, has a suitcase full of gold coins, and lives with a monkey and a horse. Despite having no education, manners, or parents around Pippi is able to take care of herself, her pets, and her home all while having oodles of fun. Definitely a role model for kids that are fed up with going to school and following rules-haha!


Ok, another ten down. Hopefully it will not take me quite as long to get 71-80 posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment