Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Big Red Dog Party!

Anyone who knows me is aware of my love for dogs. In fact, I often refer to my yellow lab as my third blond son. It probably has something to do with the way I was raised. There was always a dog in the house I grew up in and my parents call the two dogs they have now my little brothers.

My kids and my two little brothers.
What does my love of dogs have to do with the library? Well, February is Responsible Pet Owner Month (I love looking at those calendars that tell about all the obscure holidays and observances). To celebrate, as well as educate, about pet ownership, we are having a Big Red Dog Party on Saturday, February 15th at 10am.

You might be asking yourself:  Why is it called the Big Red Dog Party? It just so happens that February 15th is also the 86th birthday of Norman Bridwell who is the creator of everyone's favorite house-sized pet, Clifford!
Bridwell and the real Emily Elizabeth (his daughter).

Decades after the first book was published in 1963, Clifford is still the most popular canine in children's literature. Not to mention the toys, clothes, and the wonderful PBS cartoon in which the late John Ritter gave Clifford his voice.

School Library Journal interviewed Bridwell last year when Clifford turned 50 and you can read all about the man behind the big red dog here.

In addition to the Clifford-themed activities we have planned, the library is extremely excited to welcome Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary on Saturday. Mackenzie's is located in Lake Odessa, Michigan and it is the largest no kill shelter in the Midwest. The wonderful people from Mackenzie's will be giving a special presentation on dogs, and I am pretty sure that they will be bringing along a  four-legged friend to help demonstrate.

Mackenzie's will talk about pet adoption and responsible pet care. Also, they will educate kids  on how to behave around dogs that they may meet in the park or at a friend's or relative's home. Learning how to behave appropriately around strange dogs is so important for kids that have their own dogs too.  My own children haven't always understood that they cannot run up to any dog they meet and squeeze, kiss, hug, and wrestle with it like they do with our dogs at home.

As you can see from these pictures, my son Zander believes that dogs should be used as body pillows.


Whether you are a dog owner, dog lover, or just hoping to help your children learn how to behave around dogs safely be sure to make it to the Big Red Dog Party this Saturday at 10am.




No comments:

Post a Comment