Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Star Wars Reads Day at PDL


The library celebrated Star Wars Reads Day this past Saturday and the party was awesome! This was the second year for this geektastic, national event and our attendance more than doubled.

I am such a nerd so planning Star Wars crafts, games, decorations, etc. was right up my alley. I didn't get pictures of everything, because people  started to arrive and once the party was going I  was too busy darting from one place to another like a manic squirrel. To be honest, though, whether it is a family vacation, the first day of school, or a party at the library I am the absolute worst person to be in charge of taking pictures. I usually forget to take any pictures and when I do take them they are blurry or I cut off peoples heads or have them horribly off center. The fact that I took this many pictures is a huge achievement for me.


I think that balloon should be a part of every party The kids are mastering the force to keep the balloons in the air. This was also a great diversion for younger kids while I played Star Wars hangman (or don't let Han Solo fall into the Sarlacc's pit) with the older kids.







My daughter, Zoe (AKA Princess Leia), was and continues to be the Star Wars origami master.








"Jabba Hungry" was easily the most popular game and I must admit that I am pretty proud of how he turned out. I drew him and Sierra painted him for me. I brought all of my kids Star Wars beanie babies from home to "feed" Jabba. Throwing R2D2, Jawas, Darth Maul, and others into Jabba's mouth made the game a thousand times more fun than just throwing regular bean bags. With every game, I was able to give away cool prizes since I had received so many freebies from different publishers. The kids loved the pins, posters, bookmarks, etc. and I loved sending everyone home with some great loot.





Ruthie Fedewa was the winner of the costume contest. She made an amazing Aayla Secura and it is really impressive how she created her costume rather than just buying one.

Following the crafts and games we showed Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and noshed on Yoda Soda, Ewok Kibble (popcorn), Jedi Jello, and wookie cookies (no-bakes).

I am pretty sure that everyone had fun and that is what matters most to me. Now I have an entire year to come up with new and more exciting things to do at Star Wars Read Day III!

No comments:

Post a Comment