Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2013

New in the Short Stacks

Since I am responsible for ordering the Juvenile Fiction (JF) books I thought that I would take a few moments to share some of the fun, new selections in the short stacks.

I confess that I was first drawn to this new series, because the spiky-haired hero looks so much like my youngest son, Zane. However, after reading the reviews I believe that these spacey, illustrated books are perfect for kids just beginning to read chapter books.  Both Kirkus and Publishers weekly compare Galaxy Zack to the Jetsons, and who doesn't love them? Readers will feel Zack's pain when he is forced to leave his friends and home on Earth, and they will delight in all of the gadgetry and zaniness he encounters on his new home planet, Nebulon.

 Zane and I have already read book one together, and he cannot wait to check out book two, Journey to Juno.  Four more titles in the series will be released over the summer.



I'm going to stick with humor and tell you about another illustrated chapter book series, Ninja Meerkats. This series immediately caught my attention because the title is so ludicrous (especially the "Small. Furry. Deadly." at the top of each cover). The giggles just kept coming when I read that the four members of the Clan of the Scorpion are named Jet Flashfeet, Chuck Cobracrusher,  Donnie Dragonjab, and Bruce Willowhammer.

Now I am a child of the eighties so I grew up watching and playing with Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles. I have no qualms saying I that I love Gareth P. Jones furry, little warriors infinitely more than Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael.  Kirkus Reviews calls this series "fast, funny, and charming". Kids of all ages will get a kick (hurray, I got to work in a pun) out of these quick and hilarious books.





 
I have been eagerly awaiting the next adventure of Egg (short for Egbert) and his more than slightly deranged friend, Guts. Deadweather and Sunrise is jam packed with dastardly pirates, ancient treasures, conniving villains, and even a touch of romance.

Rick Riordan, author of The Lightning Thief series, says that Deadweather and Sunrise "is a rip-roaring debut. It is Lemony Snicket meets Pirates of the Caribbean, with a sprinkling of Tom Sawyer for good measure." I could not agree more and  I am sure that the Geoff Rodkey's second Chronicle of Egg book, New Lands, will be another rollicking adventure.



Yes, another Nancy Drew reboot, but this one looks promising and it is to sure introduce America's favorite girl detective to a whole new generation. According to Simon & Schuster, the Nancy Drew Diaries is more reminiscent of the original series with Nancy, George, and Bess using their wits and sleuthing skills to unravel mysteries.

The cover art will definitely attract young girls and I love that Nancy and her friends rely on their intelligence rather than cell phones and lap tops.







Two more new books that feature a girl protagonist are My Life in Pink & Green and My Summer in Pink & Green by Lisa Greenwald. Both of these have received star reviews and tween girls will have no trouble identifying with the sweet and intrepid heroine.

The once popular pharmacy owned by Lucy Desberg's family is facing foreclosure and the twelve-year-old problem solver launches a campaign to save it.  With determination and an extensive knowledge of beauty products, Lucy is able to transform the pharmacy into a successful "green" spa. Girly girls will enjoy the beauty tips and make-over stories, but at heart these are books about loving and supporting your family and community.




This series has been requested several times so our patrons will be happy to learn that PDL now has all five of the Emily Windsnap books. For girls that have outgrown the Rainbow Magic Fairies, but still want something fun and magical this series is perfect.

In the series opener Emily Windsnap is shocked to learn that she is half-mermaid. So begins her journey into a magical undersea world to discover her father. Subsequent adventures in the series feature Emily waking a Kraken, going on missions for King Neptune, and battling ancient sea curses.







Anyone who has spent more than five minutes talking with me about books is going to learn that I adore Roald Dahl. In fact, I more than adore him. In my my mind the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda (my personal favorite), The BFG, etc. is the unrivaled king of children's literature.

The title and the setting of an abandoned chocolate shop along with quirky characters and that distinctively British humor all pay homage to Dahl. However, this book also contains the fantastical world of Harry Potter and the action of James Bond.

Fantasy lovers of all ages are in for some scrumdiddlyumptious fun when they read The Whizz Pop Chocoalte Shop!




There are so many outstanding new books and if I had more time I would describe them all. Hopefully, a trip to PDL is in your near future so you can check some of them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment