Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

Best Literary Mamas



I feel guilty admitting that my ideal Mother's Day would probably involve my husband taking my kids away for the whole day too. In honor of the holiday I have shared a few of my favorite literary mamas.

I do not think that any mother can compare with Marmee from Little Women. In Lousia May Alcott's preeminent novel Margaret (Marmee) March flouts 19th century convention by encouraging her daughters to further their educations, pursue their talents and passions, and marry for love rather than money "...but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace.”  Despite their poverty, the March family abounds with love and happiness and this is greatly due to Marmee's kindness, patience, and wisdom.



 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is one my favorite novels. Now Katie Nolan may not seem like an ideal mother; she openly admits to preferring her son, Neely, over her daughter, Francie and she frequently comes across as cold, unloving, and harsh. Behind Katie's austere demeanor, however, is a fierce devotion to her children. She was forced to sacrifice her own joy and dreams to insure her children's survival; and when Francie is in danger, Katie is there to save her.

If you ever get the chance I also recommend watching the movie version. I usually do not like movie adaptations of books, but I am a total sucker for oldies in black and white.  Dorothy McGuire plays Katie and she is such a wonderful actress. Also the young actress (Peggy Ann Garner) who plays Francie is simply amazing; she is exactly how I imagined Francie when I was reading the book.

 I think that is impossible to read the Harry Potter novels without falling completely in love with the Weasley family. The pleasantly plump, red-headed family matriarch, Molly Weasley, is so loving and funny you cannot help wishing you were one of the Weasley children living in the ramshackle Burrow. Molly may be scatterbrained at times, but she is also a talented and powerful witch that will do anything to protect those she loves (just ask Bellatrix Lestrange).


.

As a child I loved the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. Ramona and Her Mother came out in 1979 and it explored Ramona's relationship with her loving and exasperated mother, Dorothy Quimby. Like Ramona, I have an older sister so I can understand Ramona's jealousy when she thinks that her mother loves Beezus more. Now that I am a mother of three, I can empathize a bit more with Mrs. Quimby and how you can love all of your children equally, but as individuals.  I really love that the Ramona books represent a real family; with parents that sometimes argue and moms that get annoyed and occasionally yell. In the end, though, the Quimbys are a close and affectionate family and Ramona learns that her mother needs both "her Beezus" and "her Ramona".


Since I work primarily with children's books I do not have much time for reading new releases in the adult section. One newer book that I did get a chance to read, though, was Room by Emma Donaghue and I was blown away.  The book is told from the perspective of five year old jack and Donaghue does a spectacular job of capturing the voice and mindset of a little boy. The premise of this book is quite apropos considering the current headlines coming out of Ohio. Jack has spent the entirety of his life in one room with his Ma as his only companion. Abducted and held captive since she was 19, Jack's Ma manages to raise the son sired by her captor with love, creativity, and intelligence. When the two finally escape it is a long and arduous journey to assimilate into the world outside of Room. When I was reading this book I was amazed at Ma's ingenuity and the things she was able to come up with to teach and entertain her young son in such a limited and confined environment. Ma also manages to protect her son from her captor and conceive of plan to facilitate escape. Room is a truly inspiring story of a mother devoted to her child.

I hesitate to put Gertie Nevels on this list, because Harriette Arnow's The Dollmaker is one of the saddest books that I have ever read. However, it is also one of the most moving books that I have ever read and Gertie Nevels is such a strong and sympathetic character. The Dollmaker takes place during the 1940s and chronicles the heartbreaking story of the Nevels family. Gertie Nevels  gives into societal pressure to follow her husband from her beloved home in rural Kentucky to the gritty streets of Detroit. The Nevels do not find happiness and prosperity in Detroit as the family is plagued by hardship and tragedy. Throughout it all Gertie remains hopeful and stalwart.


A list of literary mothers would not be complete without Laura Ingalls' Ma, Caroline. Even though she is not as exuberant or garrulous as Charles (Pa) Ingalls, Caroline is the true strength behind the Ingalls family. Always patient, hardworking, and calm Caroline does so much more than clean and cook. Most importantly she insures that her children are being educated whether they are traveling across the country in a covered wagon or living in a log cabin hundreds of miles from anyone.



There are hundreds of great literary mothers, so please let me know which ones I missed. I only mentioned "good" moms so maybe next time I will start a list of best "bad" moms. If you are a busy mom I hope that you are able to snatch some free time for yourself to read.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment about Mrs. Weasley. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete