Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Charles Dickens and the Gilmore Girls

Hi everyone it's been awhile but I am reading another book off the Gilmore challenge.  Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" is on the list.  I'm making my way through this book and it is taking a lot longer than any book that small should.  The writing is wonderful it's just the language is definitely different which makes it a little more difficult, it doesn't read as fast.  I also think it's that I have watched, I don't even know how many versions of this book, so it is not like I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next.  But being a Christmas junky I thought I should read probably one of the most well known Christmas stories in existence. It is a great book and Dickens is brilliant.  What I find funny is as I am reading I see all the different versions of the Christmas Carol that I have watched, all jumbled together.

 For example when Marley's ghost is with Scrooge all I can see is Goofy tripping all over the place and it makes me giggle.

 The Muppet's Christmas Carol is another film that comes to mind a lot while reading this book.  It actually sticks pretty well to the book but has the fun of characters like Gonzo. I love the part where Rizo says "Light the lamp not the rat! Light the lamp not the rat!"

There are probably thousands of different versions out there I'm not really sure which is my favorite.  They all make me laugh, some make me cry, some even make me think about whether or not I keep Christmas in my heart all year long.  I find A Christmas Carol  actually a really sad story, but it does have a happy ending and teaches a great lesson. We should always do what we can to help others and show love and understanding all year long.   So I will be more than happy to add this book to my list of books I have read and will also be happy to not be embarrassed I have never read it. :)

I can't for some reason seem to locate where it is mentioned in Gilmore Girls it sounds really familiar and I can almost remember but it just keeps escaping me.  I am not sure what I am going to read next and I don't guess it much matters since I keep changing my mind anyways. :)  That's it for now...

Just keep reading!
Just keep reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment