Search This Blog

Friday, May 9, 2014

Storytime Anytime-Hooray for Moms!


If you do not get all of the geeky references above, I apologize. I am a total sci-fi nerd and I could not resist. Obviously, Mother's Day is only two days away so this week's Storytime Anytime is all about mommy love. Now there are oodles of picture books about motherhood so I am just going to share a few that I consider truly special.

I love all of Eastman's books (Go Dog Go, The Best Nest, etc.) but I have a soft spot for Are You My Mother, because it was my youngest son's favorite when he was a toddler. Little Bird's quest to find his mother after he falls out his nest is sweet and funny. The text is also simple and repetitive which means your child will be able to recite it after a few readings.

After reading you can look for bird nests outside or talk about how animals take care of their babies.  Maybe share some gummy worms while you are reading too.

You can also match baby animals with their moms with this printable matching game.






















The Giving Tree seems to be a book that people either love or hate. I agree that the little boy is quite selfish and demanding, but I think The Giving Tree exemplifies the unconditional love mothers have for their children. Kids are going to have times when they are selfish, naughty, whiny, etc. and they need to know that they will be loved even when they are not on their best behavior.

If you ever visit the John Ball Park Zoo there is a massive bench that has the quote: "I don't need very much now said the boy...Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest...And the boy did and the tree was happy." The bench was originally an entry in Art Prize and it is stunning.


I know that I have mentioned Someday in a previous post, but I am going to mention it again because if you have a daughter you need to read it. I also dare you to read it without tearing up. When the library purchased it we passed it around the staff and I think that everyone was sobbing (at least all of the moms). This would be a wonderful gift for a new or expecting Mom. Peter Reynold's  watercolor illustrations are charming and  perfectly accompany this sweet story.

David Ezra Stein's new book Ol' Mama Squirrel shows just how fierce a mama can be when it comes to protecting her babies. This book is so fun and I love Stein's illustrations. In 2011 Stein won a Caldecott honor for Interrupting Chicken which is one of my favorite books to read aloud and his most recent book is sure to be just as popular. Stein even wrote a song to promote Ol' Mama Squirrel which will have you in stitches. I love the whole blue grass spin he puts on the book.

I am a sucker for homemade gifts, especially from my kids. Mother's Day is the perfect time for Dad to take the reins and make a cute craft with the kiddies to give to Mom.  Any craft that involves hand prints, fingerprints, or footprints are perfect because they are a great memento to keep. I have multiple Valentines, Christmas Ornaments, and Mother's Day crafts that feature my children's hand or footprints and I love to look at them and remember how little they were.
These are just a few that we have made at the library or I have made at home with my kids. If you don't want to use paints you can always just trace and color.
For older children that are not really into crafts here is a link to a mother's day letter template that you can print and have them fill out.

Whether you are spending the day with family or enjoying some much deserved ALONE time I wish all the mothers out there a wonderful and relaxing Mother's Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment