Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2013

Enter this imaginary world . . .


I realize that I have odd taste in books, but that's not going to stop me from nattering on about books that I love.  Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks is one such book.  I've heard it compared to Room by Emma Donoghue, which is understandable when you realize that there's a non-conventional narrator and a kidnapping.  However, I think it's unfair to make too many comparisons, as this book is wholly creative and unique.  It's the story of Max, an autistic boy, as told by his imaginary friend, Budo.  The world that Dicks builds for these imaginary friends is rich and satisfying.  The book is suspenseful and moving, and made me cry like a fool at the end.  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment