Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Indiana Jones Finale

Who doesn't love Indiana Jones (even though the fourth film was a bit lame)?
This coming Tuesday we are going to cap off the six weeks of Dig Into Reading by digging into ancient tombs, temples, and artifacts with Indiana Jones. We have had such an amazing turnout for all of the summer reading events and I hope that just as many kids attend our final party!

I always get so geeked about these kinds of parties and my mind starts going in twenty thousand directions.
I have a tendency to go a little overboard, but who cares if the kids love it, right?  I did have to scrap one idea. I had planned for the kids to make whips out of duck tape but: 1)The duck tape would be difficult for younger kids to manipulate  2) Duck tape whips are actually quite painful if one hits you and 3) Arming 20-30 children is a BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD idea!!!! I am positive that many parents will be very pleased that I deep-sixed that craft.

I am considering showing the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for older kids that want to stay on.  In my opinion the second movie is a bit more kid-friendly then the others in the franchise (probably because of Short Round). As a bonus, I can serve gross looking snacks and call it the Pankot Palace Buffet. Chilled monkey brains anyone?

My father lives for Halloween and he has graciously lent me skeletons, skulls, rats, spiders, snakes, etc. to create a creepy tomb to explore. Hopefully everything will come together in time and kids will have a blast in "The Library of Doom".

No comments:

Post a Comment