Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

I don't know about anyone else, but I will go through a reading "slump" where I'm fine with the books I'm reading, but nothing really excites me or reminds me of why I love to read.  I'd been going through one of these slumps when I found Pure, by Julianna Baggot, which kind of rocked my world.  Seriously . . . this was one of the best books I've read in years.  For me, it was the perfect storm of books.  It had a post-apocalyptic setting, which I always love.  It had THE BEST characters, who had depth and quirks and who were totally loveable, even when they were flawed.  It had a theme that resonated with me . . . that even when things are horrible and ugly and shameful and hard, there are still tiny moments of intense beauty, and you should not only acknowledge them, but create them.  It  had kindness and bravery and nobility in the middle of chaos.  It had a creative hook.  It had plenty of action.  It was, quite simply, breathtaking.  I highly recommend this for people who liked Hunger Games, and for people who like good books.  Also?  I hadn't realized that it was the first book in a planned trilogy, so now I'm even more excited.  The second book, Fuse, came out a few days ago and you can bet I'm in line to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment