Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Rory Gilmore Challenge



“I live in two worlds, one is a world of books,” she said. “I’ve been a resident of Faulkner’s Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina and strolled down Swann’s Way. It’s a rewarding world.”


This quote is from Gilmore Girls, the best show ever!!!!!  
It is part of Rory's valedictorian speech. I religiously watched Gilmore Girls when it was on t.v. (bought all the seasons and continued to watch over and over again) and when it went off the air, I cried.  I watched this show for seven years and I became really attached to the characters and, even though it drives my husband crazy, Alexis Bledel will always be Rory to me and Lauren Graham will always be Lorelei.  



Anyways, I guess you are asking yourself why I am blogging about this awesome show. Well one of my friends at work knowing my love for the show sent me this link and it lead me to the Rory Gilmore reading Challenge.  Australian writer, Patrick Lenton, compiled a list of every book mentioned throughout  all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls, 339 in all.  Now if you have ever watched the show (If you haven't I insist you go buy the first season right now and start watching) you will know Rory is very well read, and as I looked over the list (which made several episodes come to mind) I realized that Patrick Lenton had a very brilliant idea. If you were to read all of the books on this list you  would also be a very well read person, because it is such a broad range of books.  So I have decided to take the challenge (what could be better than Gilmore Girls and books)!!!!  


So, I am asking you to join me on this journey.  Yes, it will be time consuming and, yes, there are books on there I would never normally read. That is really the point, though, because many of the books on the list are classics that everyone should know.  Here is my plan: I am starting a sort of online book club where I am going to read all of the books on this list, but not in any particular order. I will blog (sometimes asking guest readers to blog) about what I have read and let you know what I am going to read next. You can read the same book as me or whichever one you want.  I invite everyone to comment on the book I am posting on or whichever book you are reading. You don't have to be finished with the book to talk about it, just let us know what you are thinking.

For my first book, I am going to read a book I have always meant to read, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.  I have watched the Disney animated adaptation many times and also enjoyed the newer one with Johnny Depp.  I am really looking forward to reading this classic.

 
I had to include the picture just because I like to look at him.  Though I actually prefer Johnny Depp when he was in Cry Baby. :)




Join me on my Gilmore Girls Journey
 (which automatically makes me think of the intro song)













2 comments:

  1. I downloaded the list. Have read 51 of the 349. I am reading a book not on the list right now (The Moonstone), and will jump into The Iliad next.

    Have you checked to see if the library has these books? A paper flyer at the library might increase interest too, and drive some readers to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are doing better than me I had only read four when I looked over the list. Two of them being Harry Potter. I have a tendency to stick to fantasy so I think this list will really broaden my horizons.Though my first choice is still in my comfort zone.
    I am not really sure how many of these our library owns I will definitely check in to it, and the flyer is a great idea. I will make a flyer and show it to my boss, maybe I can even do a display.

    ReplyDelete