Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Institute




Last Thursday and Friday Wendy and I were at the Michigan Library Association Spring Institute; which is a two day conference specifically for children's and teen librarians. This was my third year attending Spring Institute and I look forward to going all year.

It is always gratifying to mingle with others in your profession and share war stories, new ideas, and opinions. Spring Institute offers so much more. There are multiple breakout sessions, which are small classes on different topics that pertain to youth librarians. This year I attended a session on Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and how libraries can partner with schools to implement them. Some other sessions were Early Brain Development, Getting Out of the Programming Rut, and Children's Programming on Shoestring Budget. Tomorrow I will head back to work rejuvenated, inspired, and abounding with ideas that I plan to "borrow."

Long before I was a librarian I was and continue to be an avid reader. The part of Spring Institute that I anticipate each year, therefore, are the guest speakers. Usually there are five keynote speakers that are authors and/or illustrators.
Past speakers have been Gary Schmidt, Eric Litwin, and Jonathan Rand.
This year the the keynote speakers included: Daniel Kirk, Margaret Peterson Haddix, Aprilynne Pike, Tim Cusak, and Eugene Yelchin.
      
It is so intriguing to listen to an author's story. How they began writing, what inspires them, their writing process, etc. Of course, it is also fun to get a book signed by the author. I always tell myself I am not going to spend too much money, but I end up buying at least one book for each of my kids and a couple for myself. 

This year I was most excited to hear Eugen Yelchin (no offense to the other authors who are all amazing). Breaking Stalin's Nose was easily one of my favorite books this year and it is not only a Newbery Honor book, it was awarded the 2012 Mitten Award at this year's Spring Institute. The Mitten is the Michigan Library Association's version of the Newbery Award and even though I was not on the committee that chose the winner Breaking Stalin's Nose would have garnered my vote.
       
  Breaking Stalin's Nose is the story of Sasha Zaichik, a ten year old boy living in communist        Russia at the height of Stalin's tyrannical regime. Sasha is a good and loyal communist who has dreamed of the day that he will join the Soviet Young Pioneers. Everything Sasha has known and believed in crumbles away when his father is arrested. 

Yelchin tells a heartbreaking story with beautiful illustrations, a touch of humor, and a unique style that grabs the reader and pulls them into a historical period that is frequently ignored. The character of Sasha is based on Yelchin himself even though he was born several years after the death of Stalin. Yelchin did grow up in communist Russia, though, and through his book he relates the trauma of living in a country inundated with fear, suspicion, and barbarity.

 His speech at Spring Institute was equally moving, and I admit to having tears in my eyes by the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment