Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

April is Poetry Month!

Am I the only one who misses The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show? Mr. Peabody and Sherman were always my favorite, but Bullwinkle's Poetry Corner is so much more appropriate for National Poetry Month. What cartoons today would expose children to poems like The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson or Poe's The Raven?


Stackable Lego Poetry
In lieu of my monthly children's book club, I held a special kid's poetry night last Thursday.  I had multiple poetry related activities for all ages including: a color poem book for younger children, a pushpin poetry wall, Lego stacking poetry,and a special flower/poem craft for Mother's Day.  Also local poet, Bill Davis came to share his love and knowledge of Haiku.

Even though the attendance was low (hey, poetry is a tough sale), the kids that did come enjoyed writing and sharing their own poems.

Learning how to write Haiku
It is always wonderful when members of the community want to share their gifts, talents, and hobbies. I would like to give a huge thank you to Bill Davis for taking the time to teach children about something he loves.






No comments:

Post a Comment