Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Six Degrees of the Portland District Library

I recently went to the Public Library Association biannual conference in Indianapolis, and while I was there, I attended a session on a new reader's advisory method.  Based on the popular parlor game, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, it gets librarians (and thus patrons) to find new and different connections between library materials. Basically, you would start with a popular book or movie, and then find five other items that follow a chain of thought from the original item.  The sixth item has to connect back to the first.  I know . . . it sounds super-complicated, but it's actually quite fun!  Here's an example:
A lot of people like Suzanne Collins' book, The Hunger Games, so we'll use that as our starting point.  It makes me think of the book Pure by Julianna Baggott, because they are both set in a post-apocalyptic world and have well-defined and appealing characters.  The fact that many of the characters in Pure have items fused onto their bodies makes me think of fused glass and glassblowing, so Chihuly, edited by Diane Charbonneau will be my next book.  Artist Dale Chihuly has his studio in Seattle, which is where Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford takes place.  This book deals with Japanese internment camps in WWII, which makes me think of Captain America: The First Avenger because it also takes place during the second world war.  The new Captain America movie is subtitled "The Winter Soldier," which makes me think of the movie, Winter's Bone.  And since Winter's Bone was Jennifer Lawrence's breakthrough film role, and Jennifer Lawrence stars at Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games films, my last selection ties into my first. 
I'm thinking of having my staff do something with this "six degrees of reader's advisory," but in the meantime, feel free to post your own six selections in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment